Friday, January 9, 2009

More on the Lowly Oven Mitt (and Potholders, Too!)



Yesterday, it snowed, and what a perfect time to felt. After my first post on oven mitts, I decided to knit up a couple of potholders and a hot pad too. I had the extra yarn, and they go really fast, so why not? Plus, I like to put as many projects as possible into the washing machine. I hate the thought of wasting water and electricity, and the more projects you have washing together, the more agitation you get. Which means they felt better and faster. Totally win/win.

Here's what I came up with. I needle-felted the dots and spirals on the yellow mitt, purple hot pad, and green potholder after they were dry. My one complaint is that Cascade tends to show a trace of stitches when it's felted, no matter how much you shrink it. I like my felted items to show no knit or purl stitching at all. Maybe a smaller needle size next time around would help.

Brett (my husband, best friend, and all-around morale booster and chief supporter) really likes them! Hmmmm...if they appeal to a guy who usually couldn't care less about household kitchen things, maybe I need to pursue this more. I'll play around with a few more designs and post some on my online store, which will be coming soon!

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Dawn, Those are so cool. Glad you're blogging -- I've got you on my reader!

    ReplyDelete